In this lesson we’re going to take a look at how to make a hardstyle screech in FL Studio with Massive. It’s a hardstyle screech tutorial that shows the entire process from start to finish.
For this screech I decided to go with Massive. Massive (from Native Instruments) is a very flexible and versatile plugin. You can make about any sound with it.
What often works really well is the following strategy:
- Enable 1 or 2 oscillators and choose some crazy waveforms.
- Add a “scream” filter, give it some resonance and give the cutoff knob a medium LFO.
- Route the Massive to a free mixer track and add quiet a bit of distortion.
This is really all you “have to” do to get a cool screech sound. Of course, you’ll also want to EQ your screech and may be tweak some other settings, like the modulation, voicing or detune.
This is always a game. You go back and forth between the effects, trying to shape the sound a certain way. It’s basically a matter of trial and error until you are pleased.
Just start over…
That’s another big takeaway from this video. Not every hardstyle screech or sound will be great. Sometimes you spend a lot of time tweaking or fine tuning, but it never gets really good. It’s just part of the game. Sometimes it’s better to start over with a new project. And very often, it’ll work out much better and much faster this time around.
So, don’t get too attached to a particular outcome. Just start over if you’re spinning your wheels. Experiment. Some hardstyle screeches will simply end up sounding better than others.
If you want to learn more about making hardstyle screeches, just visit the Screech page on this website.
In this hardstyle screech tutorial the following plugins are used:
- (NI) Massive
- iZotope Trash
- FabFilter Pro Q
- Fruity Fast Dist
If you have a question you would like me to answer in a future video or article, you can send it (3-4 paragraphs/500 words max) to this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you feel my content really helps with your music productions, you can show your appreciation by doing one of the following three things:
- Make a donation to my work by clicking here to donate via PayPal every time you feel I have given you a good tip, new knowledge or helpful insight. Whether it’s a buck, $2, $5, $10, $50, or a monthly recurring donation, just pick any amount YOU think is equal to the value you received from my videos, articles, courses, etc.
- Share this website with your friends so they can start learning and improving their music making and producing skills to become successful in this area of their lives too.
- Purchase one of my products on the products page by clicking here. That way, you’ll always have access to my absolute best work. Giving you the last push you might need to get your track to that pro level.
Thank you for your support and please, keep practicing!
Music producer & creator of Screech House