In this lesson you’ll learn how to make a hardstyle synth with Sytrus in FL Studio. This Sytrus hardstyle lead tutorial actually shows you 2 Sytrus synths playing together. One for the chords and one for the main melody.
Sytrus sound design
Sytrus is a FL Studio stock plugin with great sound design possibilities. However, it sometimes can be a little bit hard to understand this plugin. Hopefully this lesson can help you understand it a little bit more.
For this hardstyle synth setup, I only used Sytrus. There are no external effects being used. Except for a waveshaper to limit the signal (it doesn’t change the sound).
How to make a Sytrus hardstyle synth
For the hardstyle lead I made 2 layers: 1 for the melody & 1 for the chords. It’s best to watch them in action in the video and look at all the settings. But let me briefly give you a few tips here…
Sytrus hardstyle synth melody
- For the melody lead I enabled 2 oscillators. 1 plays a lower octave, the other plays a higher octave.
- On the “MAIN” tab of Sytrus I gave them 7 voices with some detune.
- On the “PITCH” settings of each oscillator , I created a fast incline for the hardstyle synth to have glide-ish effect. I also gave it a pitch LFO for some vibration.
- On the FX section, I simply used a chorus (with 7 voices), a reverb and a delay.
Now, it’s important to route the sections you’ve used to the output on the matrix. Else you don’t hear the sections you’ve used.
In this example it means that I had to route oscillator 1 and oscillator 2 to the “OUT” by opening the entire knob. If we want the FX (effects) to be applied, we need to open up the “FX” knob for each oscillator we want it to apply to.
Sytrus hardstyle synth chords
The second Sytrus hardstyle synth is the chords lead. For the chords lead many settings are the same as the melody lead. Except the chords lead is a little bit less detuned and there are no pitch settings.
This creates a more supersaw type of sound. A supersaw type of sound is very well suited for making chords. To learn more about supersaws I invite you to check out the How to Make a Supersaw in FL Studio lesson.
Sytrus hardstyle screech & Sytrus hardstyle kick
In this lesson, the following FL Studio stock plugins were used:
If you have a question you would like me to answer in a future video or article, you can send it (3-4 paragraphs/500 words max) to this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you feel my content really helps with your music productions, you can show your appreciation by doing one of the following three things:
- Make a donation to my work by clicking here to donate via PayPal every time you feel I have given you a good tip, new knowledge or helpful insight. Whether it’s a buck, $2, $5, $10, $50, or a monthly recurring donation, just pick any amount YOU think is equal to the value you received from my videos, articles, courses, etc.
- Share this website with your friends so they can start learning and improving their music making and producing skills to become successful in this area of their lives too.
- Purchase one of my products on the products page by clicking here. That way, you’ll always have access to my absolute best work. Giving you the last push you might need to get your track to that pro level.
Thank you for your support and please, keep practicing!
Music producer & creator of Screech House